Saturday, January 22, 2005

Inauguration differences

Jeff Wells quotes in his blog from January 20,2004, part of the inauguration speech of Jimmy Carter:
"You have given me a great responsibility--to stay close to you, to be worthy of you, and to exemplify what you are. Let us create together a new national spirit of unity and trust. Your strength can compensate for my weakness, and your wisdom can help to minimize my mistakes...............
We have learned that "more" is not necessarily "better," that even our great Nation has its recognized limits, and that we can neither answer all questions nor solve all problems. We cannot afford to do everything, nor can we afford to lack boldness as we meet the future. So, together, in a spirit of individual sacrifice for the common good, we must simply do our best........"


Can anybody see the difference in attitude to the Bush-people? I can and those quotes made me cry.
Carter is, or at least at those times was, a true Christian. Humility and the ability to see oneself as person with limits and failures is a true Christian trait. He even is an Evangelical. So they have gone a long way too; in the direction to the dark side, of course.

What I heard from Bush and Cheney today made me cry, too. But this time in frustration, anger and desperation.
And, yes fear.
And I thought I have gotten over it, gotten cynical enough for these times.
So Israel will attack Iran, Iran will retaliate, America will protect Israel, and we German cowards will finally stand strong at the side of our beloved Big Brother Nation walking with them into sundown or into the "clash of civilizations", slaughtering Muslims abroad, probably incarcerating our own.
(One CDU opposition leader, the speaker for foreign politics, already expressed his sympathy for the American cause in Iran. And those dirt bags from the CDU will probably lead the government after the next elections.)
And I am praying for a miracle.
Nothing short of a miracle can stop this unprecedented slaughter ahead of us. If this will be a World War as the Neocons are planning, more people will be killed than in the last one.
When I saw the face of Bush looking at me from the newspaper front-page this morning, I thought about "the banality of evil".
Yes, I know, evil is a word the intellectual call Manichean. So what?
I say it loud:
Bush is the front man of a government of pure and unadulterated evil:
Mass murderers, war criminals, criminals against humanity and planners of mass-genocide.
And our mass-media journalists are either accomplices in those crimes, or cowards and turncoats with no backbone and so are most western politicians.